Spring Fever!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BuffaloridaGirl, Feb 29, 2016.

1. BuffaloridaGirl

BuffaloridaGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Anyone else giving in to adding some adorable fluffy babies to their flocks this spring?? I am only on a quarter acre and did a very bad thing. I heard that Rural King had some breeds I have been admiring, so I thought "oh well I can just look right? And even if I WERE to give in, another 2 won't hurt. Six total? That's not a lot." And BAM... Just like that I somehow ended up at Rural King and bought FIVE chicks!!! So now I have 4 bigs in a 48 sq. ft. coop plus free ranging and now 5 babies in a cage in the garage waiting to join them creating a flock of 9 and make my back neighbors hate me more. Oops.

2. crapwagon

crapwagon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2015
    Fremont IN
    My Coop
    Just give them some eggs lol then they can forget about it. I'm adding 10-15 Jersey Giants to my flock this year, and 5 Cayuga Ducks, and bought a dozen Ancona eggs to hatch. So, long story short, I'm getting some birds

3. BuffaloridaGirl

[​IMG]

One Maran (not sure which kind yet), a Barred Rock, a Cochin (grey fluff so I am assuming blue?) a Wyandotte (excited to see which coloring but I am thinking it will be golden laced) and a black Silkie!!!

4. Vickie 51

Vickie 51 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2012
    [​IMG]

I just got five pullets; 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Plymouth Barred Rock, 1 Black Australorp.

1 person likes this.
  5. BuffaloridaGirl

How old are they? Are you adding them to a current flock? They look like a big happy family!

6. Vickie 51

Vickie 51 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2012
    They are the beginning of my flock (although as a chikd/teen I spent lots of time on my aunt's farm). Due to our zoning (only hens) we opted for 16 week old pullets. They are adjusting really well. I am quite pleased and likely we'll start seeing eggs by May.

7. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    Giving in to fluffy babies? Are you kidding? It seems like a spring habit for us in the last couple of years:lol:
    We have our new 15 babies just arrived last week, big mistake looking into a catalog.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. BuffaloridaGirl

15?!! Omgosh what an impressive brooder too! What breeds did you get?

9. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio

Got some black australorps, black sexlinks, couple of araucanas, amerecaunas, & new Hampshires.
    Thanks, I just put together couple of strong boxes with duck tapes and add plastic liners in the bottom. I was @afeedstore today after work and will pick up a couple of speckled sussex & Easter eggers too[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG], have I gone crazy.
    Considering we have Rhode Island reds, black copper Marans, silver laced wyandottes, Plymouth barred rocks & white leghorns.

10. BuffaloridaGirl

I woke up in the middle of the night sort of regretting my impulsive buy. I have been trying to keep my 4 big girls cooped up in their 48 sq ft bc my behind neighbors complain that my trouble maker Clara keeps hopping over fence into their yard. How the heck am I going to have enough room for nine big girls in that 48 sq ft??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by