Spring, finally

Hillschicks

Songster
7 Years
Jul 17, 2012
So far this spring my rooster attacked for the first time... Twice it was me and once the 4 year old... After 3 times of being held upside down by the feet he has now gone over a week without a single sign of aggression towards any human... Hope it stays that way

We spoke of building a second "coop"... Instead opted to yank the nest boxes out of the coop we had, build another 6 feet away and build a new nest box in between them connecting one to the other... Has a walkway so the chickens can get from one coop to the other if they choose, and with a simple divided put in place we can seperate the two leaving each with 3 nest boxes... Or we can move the divider down to allow more nest boxes for one coop and use the other for a growout area for our new chicks... They will be able to see and hear each other that way from a safe place... The options are limitless for our 20 chicken limit (currently at 8 including our roo, spring order placed) we lose some randomly free ranging so its not too hard to stay undr 20... They seem too like the new nest box setup... The week prior with old lay boxes we got 18 eggs from our then 6 laying... In the week since the new boxes we got 32... Sure probably due to spring, but im still crediting my new box lol

We also got our newest layer today from our late september arrivers... First day this year we got 100% lay for a day...

Last edited:
Not yet... Thought the little women had a bunch and asked her to send em to me (im at work) ... She only had 1 of the inside of the box... In the next few days i intend to take a bunch :)

This is down the walkway of the nest box... Technically this is the walkway in front of the nest boxes

Nah just a little country boy day off... The "coops" arent technically coops... They are 8x8 cages more or less... But its plenty sufficient on account i built them inside of a barn... This was our first year with chickens as of march last spring and they seemed happy so we never bothered doing anything better... I figure one day the barn will fall down and i will have to buile a traditional coop outside but hopefully i have many years before it comes to that... Pictures in a few hours

Nah just a little country boy day off... The "coops" arent technically coops... They are 8x8 cages more or less... But its plenty sufficient on account i built them inside of a barn... This was our first year with chickens as of march last spring and they seemed happy so we never bothered doing anything better... I figure one day the barn will fall down and i will have to buile a traditional coop outside but hopefully i have many years before it comes to that... Pictures in a few hours
Can't wait to see more pictures! I'm getting ready to either add on to my coop, or build another one.. my addiction is growing. I keep telling my husband that his shed (where the 4-wheeler and lawn mower are kept) would be a perfect new chicken house.. all he has to do is get the 4-wheeler and lawn mower out. He doesnt agree with me. HAHA!
gig.gif

Lol... Chickens dont mind lawn mowers and fourwheelers... In fact if the fourwheeler has a rack it will make a fine roost ;)

This picture is of the box with the lid opened showing the entrance into cage number 1... Beside it is the feeder i made last fall... Its nice only having to feed
Once a month

This is box closed and pen number 1

Back
Top Bottom