Spring Fox Trouble

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by wermfud, May 29, 2010.

1. wermfud

wermfud Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2008
    removed

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  2. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Fox hate dogs, can you get a dog and keep it out by the chickens? That would scare off the fox.

3. wermfud

Nov 5, 2008
    removed

4. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Hmmm, that is too bad, because that is the best way I have found. Fox are smart and determined. You could try leaving scent in the area, if not a dog (you could borrow one to mark your area) or have your husband do the job. That might work. Walk the perimeter and mark every little bit to form an invisible barrier, hopefully.

5. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:My dog will prove you wrong. [​IMG] There were two incidents where the fox came up to the run/coop and my dog just layed there on my patio not moving a muscle. The only thing I can think of why she doesn't react, is that my flock (which consist of a little bit of everthing) makes so much noise throughout the day that this was no different.

wernfud,
    If you cant get rid of it, it will keep coming back. Then when the kits are ready to hunt, mama will bring them with her. I hope you don't lose anymore. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2010
  6. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Keep trying to figure out where the weak spots are in the coop and reinforce it, and get predator urine from either an old time hardware store or on line and sprinkle it around the perimeter of your lot and all around the coop. I know you can get fox, which might drive a vixen with kits away, but I'm pretty sure you can get wolf urine too which might work better, I'm not positive. It will only be obvious to other animals in case you're worried about it being too smelly in the yard, you may smell it a little the first few hours but mostly because you'll know you sprinkled it around.

Don't give up on searching for that hole though!

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:I use fox urine to catch fox with it attracts them fox are attracted to bobcat and coyote urine enough I catch a few fox each trapping season using each . if it is a grey fox it will slip through a hole 5-6" and not touch either side. I just got rid of a grey fox terrorizing a ladies german shepherd /golden retriever that lived on her deck. If it is a grey fox they are quiet adept at climbing.

8. wermfud

Nov 5, 2008
    removed

9. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Quote:put an electric fence around your coop for less than 75.00 and around your run.

10. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Poison in cat food works evry time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by