Spring Freezer camp '10 in the bag

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Maniac Dad, May 31, 2010.

1. Maniac Dad

Maniac Dad Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    N. Central Idaho
    53 Cornish X chicks resulted in 50 nice wholesome birds for the freezer. We lost one at day two and then one on thursday and one on friday morning, days 55 and 56, to CHD.

Got the family together on friday at 10 am and had everything cleaned and the coolers full by 1:30 pm. The birds were 8 weeks old to the day. The carcass weights ranged from 5.2 lbs to 8.4 lbs, definitly the best gain I've had in years, at least on the jumbos anyway.

Had to laugh though, A nephew droped by to lend a hand and was making fun of my new Whizbang plucker, something to the effect of it looked like a washing machine gone horribly wrong. I wish I would have had a camera to capture the look on his face when I threw in 3 birds and turned it on. My wife thought his jaw was going to richocet off the concrete floor........ He just kept mumbling about a midnight requistion run the next time his family was butchering. I might need to put the dang thing under lock and key, now.

Just thought I'd share.

2. dchickenman

dchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Tell you what- I thought those mechanical pluckers were a little too much, till I hand-plucked a few cornish x myself this weekend (first-timer). Maybe I'll try making one this winter...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by