1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spring Hatch? How'd you fare w/hen v. roos?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ears73, Apr 7, 2009.

1. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    I was part of a message board that tracked us all incubating eggs at the same time and it was fun to hear about people w/the same dilemmas as I...

So now with my 12 mutt chicks (100% hatch!) I am looking in the brooder thinking who's a he and who's a she??

I'd guess it is normal to have 50% of one, but is there any hope for a lucky pullet-loaded hatch??

Who else has chicks and how do you think your percentages are?
    So far, if I had to guess, I think we have 4 roos for sure.

Cute though!! Too cute!
    [​IMG]
    This is one I think is a roo for sure, just based on behavior. Almost 2 weeks old!

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

First salmon faverolle hatch was 3 males 3 females, second hatch was 2 males 6 females, my 3rd hatch looks to be all 8 females.

3. ears73

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    wow, awesome Sundown!! Where did you get your eggs from -homemade or did you buy them fertile? i wonder if that even makes a difference...

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:They are from my girls. [​IMG] I also hatched 2 batches of brahmas, 6 weeks old and 3 weeks old, but they are hard to tell genders until they get older.

Also, so far, I have had 4, 100% faverolle hatches.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  5. ears73

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    ok, now I think I am up to 5 roos - at least there are 5 who stand up quite high and peek at me over the edge of their brooder sides...

6. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 4 straight-run EE's (bought, not hatched) and they're all roo's. Lucky me, eh?

7. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    EASY SOLUTION

Go

Buy

More:lau

8. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I have 2-week-old 49 chicks in the brooder...most of which I can't sex yet (though a few I have a feeling are roos based on behavior). However, 6 are salmon Faverolles and we lucked out with 2 males, 4 females! Now if the rest of the chicks would keep with that same ratio, I'd be a happy camper!

9. ears73

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    wow, that is good odds... I just had a "battle" between two roos, again an assumption. Who knew they would get so into it this young??

I think I have to move my 'office' out of the brooder room... it is hard to get anything done - Chicken TV all day!

10. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    First group Delawares, six boys, four girls
    Sizzles Five boys, four girls (okay one still a maybe)
    Del group 2, 3 boys, 2 girls
    BAmutts??? Good lord can't tell, maybe out of three, one girl, maybe.

At least sizzle boys seem to be adorable and sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by