Spring hatch rooster tormenting the others!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jipus5, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Jipus5

Jipus5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Minden Louisiana
    Clyde EE, my head Rooster and his 5 girls (Austrolorp, RIR, Leghorn, Rock, and Delaware) gave me 37 chicks this year. Huge variety of colors etc... Got one rooster with no tail feathers and he literally torments all the others EXCEPT Clyde and his girls. But the stress on my free ranging flock is horrible so now none will lay in the coop.... they leave and hide then lay in odd places to keep away from him which I seldom find where. He rapes the other roosters all day...truly all day. They just lay there after the physical attack before and after the 'act' and he pecks and claws at them. When he finally walks off, they just lay there. Then the hens... he attacks even the 3 month olds... attacks anyone who tries to eat and its winter so little grass and bugs; sso I caught him, and placed him in a dog kennel. I am lost what to do. I would love to have more with his beautiful feathering, but he is crazy! I have 4 other roosters of the same age and since I put him up, they get along fine. Mating is back to normal, with little sign of occasional jealousy. Similar feathered hens flock together regardless of age and two of these roosters seem to have established their favorites like Clyde did... So anyone got any ideas what could fix him, or is he ready for the freezer?

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    He's long overdue for a trip to the freezer.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm wondering why he's still alive.

and please, please don't breed him. Do you really need more psychotic birds? No amount of pretty makes up for the behavior you're describing.

2 people like this.
  4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Change Clyde's name to Stew and make sure he lives up to it.

5. Jipus5

Jul 8, 2012
    Minden Louisiana
    CLYDE is actually my good boy, the daddy of all the rest. It's his freaky *** son..... So, Ya'll agree...such temperament is NOT a good thing to pass along! LOL I see a spot in my freezer right now....

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    My apologies to Clyde! I misread the first post. I do think the general consensus is, DON'T pass those genes along. Glad you have room in the freezer. He'll be delicious!

7. Jipus5

Jul 8, 2012
    Minden Louisiana
    I sharpened up my hatchet, can you say Ima surprise the hubby with fried chicken tomorrow night!

8. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    The Son of Clyde should be quickly joining the noodles for supper.

9. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    Hey jipus5 can u really butcher him all by urself?

10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by