Spring of Fall chicks? Which season is best for the Midwest??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hoosierhen, Sep 16, 2008.

1. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    I got my first chicks last fall, and am now bitten by "the bug" to get more! To those in colder climates that have started chicks in fall and spring, what would you recommend?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I hatched chicks all through the spring and summer. I just had my last batch and they are now 1 and 2 weeks old. here in upstate ny it gets cold during the fall. If you have a warm draft free area, its fine to raise chicks. some people hatch chicks all winter.

3. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Spring is probably easier. In fall, if you can keep them in a warm area until temps warm up enough again to have them outside, I would say its fine. Everyone does things differently, I wouldnt say there is any "set in stone" right or wrong way.

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I agree with the above posters, it's fine to hatch/order chicks in the fall and winter. As long as they can stay warm and have a draft-free, insulated place to hang out, they'll be fine.

But yes, it is a bit easier to wait until spring and get the chicks then.

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    If getting chicks for eggs, best to get in the fall. They will be laying in the spring.
    For show or meat birds, Spring is best . Show birds will be feathered out for the fall shows. Meat birds will produce more meat per pound of feed, because they dont need to maintane their body heat,as much.

6. prittybitty

prittybitty Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    i have had my chicks a week now they are from ideal. how old should they be before turning them out into the coop. i live in central mississippi, winters are confusing. this is my first chicks dont want them to die from the cold but they just cant stay in the house all winter. could use some good advice.

7. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I agree with deerman. For spring layers get your chicks in the fall. Meaties in summer.

I just put my meaties in the freezer, bought them over 4th of July week.

I have 50 red star pullets (red sex link) coming in early October, they will be ready to lay when the snow melts.

8. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    We get our in the spring, usually around the middle of April so we don't have to heat the brooders to much. We keep the brooders in the house but it's still messy.

Since about 4 weeks is Ideal to get them out side, I guess any time so that 4th week it's not to cold at night. Maybe April through August would not be to difficult, as far as to much extra heating you would have to supply.

In the winter we try to keep the coop at least 45 degrees, which would be to hard on young birds.

As far as meat birds If they are Cornish X the July August temps in the mid west may be to stressfully. Since it can get to 100 Degrees or more. Out here I would start them earlier or later. A good time may be April to May, then September or October for fall butchering.

Tom

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by