1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spring order for silkies help

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by FF, Nov 20, 2010.

1. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Hello. I am wanting to order some silkies this spring. What is the best hatchery to do so? I am wanting mostly whites, blacks, buffs and bbs. Any help and pictures from hatcheries would be greartly appreciated. thank you

2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    All hatchery Silkies are going to be the same scraggly, ugly, no foot feathering, tiny-crested not so fluffy yard birds. Certainly not photo worthy. If you want something nice to look at, go with a breeder. JMO. [​IMG]

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I agree with Fattie, but if you do decide to go with a hatchery, I have seen some decent looking silkies on here that came from Cackle.

4. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    X2 go thru a breeder if you want nice ones...That will LOOK like a silkie...

5. FF

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Thank you for the replys. I will just go with a breeder. I thought the same but dsidn't reallyw ant to hatch eggs. Anybody here know of cost worthy good quality(doesn't have to be show) eggs that are just good pets that I can sell offspring from? looking for just like I was going to order, Buff, Black, BBS, White. Thank you all for replying. Dusty

6. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    Hello FF,

If you go to the Breeds, Genetics and Showing, find a thread that is the official Silkie Thread. Under it, you'll find many posts by breeders, and you can see photos of their stock, and their chicks and you will know what you're gonna get. Send them emails or PMs, and you'll be able to buy some eggs or started chicks for next spring.

I bought some silkies this year from Ideal and MPC, and my personal experience is that the MPC silkies look more like decent silkies, compared to Ideal. Their head puffs are fuller, more correct body type and all around, just look more like silkies. Having said that, I now realize there is a distinct difference in the Silkies breed between breeders and hatcheries. This is why I just recently ordered some silkie eggs from a private breeder to hatch at home and then I want to compare the quality for myself. I would recommend for you to get from a breeder if you can hatch the eggs at home.

Sheila

7. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I've had silkies from three hatcheries and like most have said on this thread find a breeder and buy started chicks or hatch their eggs. It is quite a difference. I have heard that eagle nest poultry in Ohio have decent whites. But that's the only color and you have to order a feather footed assortment. Purely Poultry are said to have decent ones too. Good luck.

8. FF

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Thank you all for the replys. I am thinking of just ordering me some eggs. I don't want to but like you all said if I want them to look like silkies then I'm better off haha. Maybe if I can find someone within drivings distance I can make time to go get some eggs or chicks. Is that better than ordering from hatcheries or about the same? Or should I just get parent stock? Thank eachand everysingle one of you for your responses!

9. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I prefer to buy 6-8 month olds, but it depends on how much money you have to spend. [​IMG]

10. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I agree but I have never seen a fatherless footed silkie come from cackle hatchery. They do a pretty good job on their birds. I have three left after my black snake problem and they loom like good birds to me. Not scraggly or anything like that. They may not be breeder quality but they still look like silkies. Not all hatcheries are completely bad. They are my main supplier for egg stock but can't be discounted altogether. When I went they had buff white and black. Am pretty sure they have partridge as well. Hope this helps with any decision making as I don't feel decisions should be one sided.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by