Spring Pullets WV

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by QuillPen, Jan 24, 2008.

1. QuillPen

QuillPen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2008
    West Virginia
    I'm new to this site, sort of. I've been reading posts for sometime but I just registered myself yesterday. Cybercat suggested I post in this forum for what I would like to have.

I'm looking for Buff Orpington pullets and/or Buff Brahma pullets. I wouldn't be able to pick them up until April-May because my coop hasn't been used for several years and needs repair. Too chilly to work on it just now.

Buff Orpingtons are my first pick. Buff Brahma is my second. I have a friend who has a Light Brahma and she really is a dear. I prefer the buff color though. My third choice---OK--it's Jersey Giants!

Can anyone help me? I live in central West Virginia.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can get some descent layer stock (not show quailty) from McMurray. I always get spring chicks from them and have never been disappointed. The minimum is 25 and you can get them all vaccinated for mere pennies. You can also pick a range of range of dates to have them shipped. My Bo's and Jersey Giants are very healthy girls. I got them from McMurray.

3. QuillPen

Jan 23, 2008
    West Virginia
    I'm more interested in older pullets. Pullets that are almost mature enough to lay or even started. I was hoping someone may have extras. I was told in my first post that all the hatcheries trim the beaks of the older pullets. I think that's brutal; although, I understand the reasoning. I don't want mamed girls.

I don't need twenty-five chicks. I'm sure I can give them away, but I have trouble with that. Funny isn't it? I can't give away extras but I'm hoping others will!

I was hoping for three BOs, three Buff Brahmas and three Jersey Giants. Do you think these can live together peacefully without bullying the BOs?

Am I being too picky? Any other thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My main flock is mixed and they all seem to do well together. I thought the BO's would be ont he low end of the pecking order but they are not.

I don't like hatchery pullets for the debeaking reason, too.

I am sure you will find someone here looking to rehome a few girls. Make sure you look through the buy/sell/trade listings.

You can also look on freecycle for your area and craigslist.

If you can't find freebies, point of lay pullets are usually $10 - $15 each these days. I prefer vaccinated chicks myself because most of the juvenile birds I have encountered have come with their own set of problems.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Where in central WV?...lol...me too!!!...Randolph Co. here....

6. QuillPen

Jan 23, 2008
    West Virginia
    Thanks for your help.

I'm sure the chicks are the best way to go, but I don't have the space for a brooder inside. No basement, one bathroom, all in a drafty, old farmhouse. I also have inside cats and dogs.

2 inside cats+ 2 inside dogs x 25 chicks=chicken nuggets!

I'll keep looking!

7. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I will be trying for a hatch of Buff Brahmas this Spring so check back and if the hatch goes well, might have a few....

8. QuillPen

Jan 23, 2008
    West Virginia
    I'm in Gilmer County...

Great! I'll be watching!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  9. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Another West Virginian!!...yeah!!!...Keep in touch on here...

10. ManOfTheJerseyGiant

ManOfTheJerseyGiant Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2007
    Henderson NC
    little late but i have pullets and if later on you want to hatch some after we try ours out you can if mom will ok it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by