Spring time ????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nanblues, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Nanblues

Nanblues Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    With the days getting longer and springtime right around the corner, I am wondering if this is giving my hens a bit of a boost. I have 6 Rhode Island Reds and one RIR rooster. All this winter it has been hit or miss on getting even one egg from the hens. Two weeks ago, had a bit of a spirt with one egg everyday for a week. Then went back to hit and miss again. Yesterday, had just one egg and it was delivered without a shell. I really did not expect a whole lot of eggs this past winter due to some of the extreme weather we have here in Northern New York (30 minutes south of Ottawa, Canada) plus, the coop is not heated. Last night we had temperatures down to -2F (-18C) with what looked like almost a full moon. I went out today at noon to collect/look for eggs and give the hens some treats and there where 6 eggs all extra large to Jumbo size!! Will be interesting as to what is out there tomorrow. This was my first winter with the chickens and have been surprised they have all made it through. Got 12 new peeps heading this way in May.... Hopefully they will all play nice in the sandbox this july/august when I introduce the new ladies to all the old gals.

2. cooped up

cooped up Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Portland, Or
    This is the second winter for my birds, and they were producing great right up to Dec. 1st. Then i was lucky to get an egg a day from a couple of hens. Now that they are all laying again I have yet to see a 6/6 day from my hens, 4 , 1 , 5, 0... I think when it's darker and cooler { threatning snow} are the least productive days. I'm thinking the new chicks will show them up here in the not so far away future.Things will be intersting in about 15 weeks.

3. Nanblues

Nanblues Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    Well by the time my new peeps are ready to be introduced to the old gals, if there is a problem then we will have a chicken BBQ that weekend!! Problem is my wife won't eat the chickens, hard enough to get her to eat the eggs! All the information I have gotten from this group has been very helpful. Will just let the new ones in and keep an eye on them. Have read here that if treats are involved then the older hens may just pay more attention to the treats then the new peeps. Just going to "wing" it LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by