Spring???

Ky Chicken Man

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 27, 2012
Kentucky
I've been thinking over the Fall and Winter about what a waits me this Spring and Summer... I think come this spring I'm gonna do a little work on my fence for my goats and cattle, and also work on some breeding pens for my Poultry... I think im gonna put up a roll of 330ft goat and Sheep fence so I can work on my getting my Pygmy Goat herd up and running at the moment I only have 3 Nannies that have never been bred, but I want to have about 12 young nannies and a billy this next Spring. I am also wanting to get my cattle herd up to about 5 or 6 Cows I'm currently at 2 I'm going to start with them first so I might buy some more these next coming up weeks. I am Also wanting to work on 4 Breeding pens 1 for Standard Easter Eggers 24 Hens and 2 Rooster, 16 Bantam Easter Eggers 14 Hens and 2 Roosters, 18 Old English Game Bantams Crele 16 Hens and 2 Roosters, and a pen for a Quad of Bourbon Red Turkeys 3 Hens and a Tom... I am also wanting to get me 12 Grey Standard Game Hens and a Rooster and 16 more Guineas to put me up to a flock of 20 all different colors just to let run around the barnyard and roost and lay in the Barn... This is my plans for the next coming up months... What's your's???

Last edited:
Well I have to fabricate a second coop, and possibly a third coop...Along with starting the garden and all that jazz. I was super excited about this property because we have a good bit of land and there is a large place right in front of the house that would make a perfect gardening spot...what I didn't notice in my excitement is that we are on the back side of a mountain and pretty much live in a constant shadow...what little direct sunlight that hits the spot I wanted to put the garden is shaded by trees on the ridgeline...I'm going to have to go to the top of the ridge and have a crazy woods garden if I want it to get enough sunshine to grow well. What a letdown...Oh well we'll be cooler in summer...We are definitely cooler in winter....sux. I like trees, but they are making me super depressed right now...At least chickens don't need hours of direct sunlight the same way plants do.

Oh, and I plan on ordering 15 meat birds, 5 cochins, 5 EE, and the 25 brown layer assortment from murray mcmurray for 2/4...and ordering the cackle hatchery surprise deal to arrive sometime in April. I have chicken fever the closer to spring we get. I can't wait literally...

I have never been a fan of winter (I am a firm believer that humans should adapt to hibernating during the winter months) but this year I really can't wait to kiss all this crappy rain and snow goodbye! I am ready for warm weather and time in the yard! I am ready to have dirt under my nails and cookouts, and bondfires, and all those things that make summer way more awesome than winter...Can't wait!

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a busy spring also... I have always had a good bunch of chicks when I've ordered from cackle which is about 3 times but every time they made nice stock..

Last edited:
Wow sounds like everyone is busy for spring! I just plan on building up my quail population that I let dwindle for a year or two. As for the other birds on the farm, my coop is pretty full so if I get any more chicks, it won't be many... sadly....

Sounds like you have a busy spring also... I have always had a good bunch of chicks when I've ordered from cackle which is about 3 times but every time they made nice stock..
They have this surprise deal where you get maybe some ducks and some turkeys, maybe some geese, and whole lot of assorted chicks for 60.95 shipped...although I want to add marek's vaccinations so that is an extra $10...I can't wait though. Can not wait...have I mentioned I am a little antsy for springtime yet?! Not only for the chickens but because winter makes me fat...and summer makes me feel good and warm and slightly tanned and happy. Hate winter yuck!

Wow sounds like everyone is busy for spring! I just plan on building up my quail population that I let dwindle for a year or two. As for the other birds on the farm, my coop is pretty full so if I get any more chicks, it won't be many... sadly....
So what is keeping quail like? What do they do? What do you do with them? Do you eat them or their eggs, or do you hatch and then sell quail? Or are they there to look at like parrots? What is the purpose of quail. I am pretty new to poultry and it is all so intriguing.

My dad used to raise Bob White Quail and Coturnix Qauil when he was younger he said he loved it he would have 3 or 4 incubators going at one time and he would raise them for meat, or sell them to farmers who wanted a few on there farms, or to train bird dogs... Me and my brother have looked into it but have decided to wait till after i get out of school before we raise them..

I just didn't really know what they were for. They look small for eating, but I guess you just have to eat more of them at a time. Lol. Or have quail night. Everyone gets their own quail.

Back
Top Bottom