springfield thermomoter/hydrometer.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dave_Cash69, Mar 13, 2009.

1. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    is this really accurate? the digital one?

2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Mine is just a couple of points off. . . closer than the other one Wal mart sells.

You can test it to be sure - - do the salt test overnight.

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    With mine, the humidiy is about 6% off from my calibrated Bemis($27). Temp is within a couple tenths of Bemis.

4. Jenski

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    bigred, where did you get the Bemis hygrometer?

5. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:At my local Ace Hardware. Like I said, it was $27, but I think it is worth it to have a reliable temp/hydrometer. More expensive doesn't necessarily mean more accurate, but I think price is a good indicator.

6. Jenski

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I agree. I have two Brinsea incubator thermometers (around $20 each), and they are fabulous. I am going to have to run out and get one of those hygrometers. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  7. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Mine seems to be about a degree higher them my oral thermometer. How do i calibrate it to be sure- The salt test? What is that?

8. Chickbait

Chickbait Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    I placed 3 of the springfield's in an air tight tub with an inch of wet salt on the bottom, I wet the salt to resemble the sand on the beach, not too soggy and firm. It was really interesting to see how this works. The humidity should read 75% after being left overnight in the salted box. If yours does not measure 75% then add or subtract your reading from 75%. The temperature on the other hand, well.....I layed out 7 thermometers including the 3 springfields and they all read something different within a degree or two so you sort of have to guess and do the best you can with temperature.
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by