Sprouted grain?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kkchicken, Aug 22, 2010.

1. kkchicken

kkchicken New Egg

Aug 8, 2010
    I'm wondering if anyone out there sprouts grain for their chickens. I was fortunate enough to acquire my chickens, coop, and their belongings from someone who loved them very much (but had an HOA...), and along with the chickens, I have a *lot* of whole whole and whole rye. I'm switching them over to a balanced organic blended feed (I think he was actually cooking them special pasta dinners and not feeding them much grain), and I'm going to use some of the rye as a green cover crop in my garden this winter. But the rest of the grain makes me think I should sprout for them... they love grass, and I'm good at sprouting, so I might as well try.

If anyone has fed their chickens sprouted grain, I'd love to hear more about your experiences, and I'm open to any advice. Thanks!

2. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Yes mine eat sprouted Black oil sunflower, Red had wheat and oats, in equal proportions sprouted. They have a serving of the sprouted grains and a wet mash twice daily.

I no nothing of rye.

I do know corn for me was not good for sprouting, and my birds would not eat sprouted field peas.

One can google sprouting, to read about all the health benefits of eating living foods. Sprouting also increases the protein level of the grains.

ON

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

How do you sprout the BOSS?

Imp- Kinda got carried away buying food for the birds.

4. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Here is what I do.
    Have two buckets that nest well together. Drill small holes in the bottom of one of them. Put the one with holes inside the the other bucket, fill with grains, fill with water. Soak over night, drain water, fill again,rinse and drain water. Continue rinsing and draining the grains twice a day until you use them.
    You can sprout them as little or as much as you want. Mostly I just get the seed to pop then feed them.
    ON

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Organics North,

Thanks, I'm going to try that. It'll save me a couple bucks buying treats, and maybe I won't need to throw away that 50# bag of BOSS.

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by