Sprouting BOSS...?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nurturingnaturally, Oct 26, 2010.

1. nurturingnaturally

nurturingnaturally Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2010
    Okay, what's the secret to sprouting boss? I sprouted wheat just fine, and the chicks loved it, but the boss got funky...help?

2. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    My secret was to spill a bunch of it in the sand outside the garage by accident - came up like crazy. I know, big help, right? [​IMG]

3. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    I do not know? I sprout mine with the wheat and oats no problems.. Maybe you had old BOSS?

I would try a new bag, a different brand?
    ON

4. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    for me boss sprouts fine although i have had trouble sprouting stripped sun flower seeds.

5. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    I have a wild bird feeder above my yard. They push BOSS out and it goes flying everywhere. Between the squirrels and the chickens, not much survives on the ground. But the few BOSS that do sprout are completely ignored. I get 2' tall sunflowers growing underneath my birdfeeder... a whole patch of them!
    Not worth sprouting them IMHO, at least during the spring, summer and fall months. But when it gets too cold out for any free ranging to find much of anything, the girls may take a second look at sprouted BOSS.

6. RhodeIslandReds

RhodeIslandReds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    fl
    I have a question do you guys get the seeds from the BOSS you planted and give it to the chickens again?

Thanks,
    RIRs

7. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    Some brands of the BOSS you can buy has a growth inhibitor sprayed on it at the "factory" for people who don't want sunflowers sprouting under their bird feeders.

8. nurturingnaturally

nurturingnaturally Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2010
    dragonlair, that makes sense...I got the bag at petsmart, so maybe that's what it is. I'll have to get some from my feedstore instead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by