Sprouting seeds?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Bettacreek, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Alright, I was reading somewhere else about incubating seeds to get them to germinate. I'm wondering if that may be why I was such a failure this year. I purchased numerous seeds at the end of last year, and tried to grow them indoors. I had some tobacco seeds sprout and some catnip, and I think a lavender seedling. Everything else went to yuck. The seedlings I did grow didn't last long, but I think I know the problem there (I forgot to move them to light, lol). The other thing that may have happened was that I was using coconut fiber to grow them. So, what is more likely to be the cause? Too cold to grow (this was like October or November, but indoors) or the substrate that I was using? I know some people grow in some weird substrates, and I did actually get some catnip seeds to sprout in those polymer crystals, so I'm not sure what went wrong. I can't find potting soil around here in the dead of winter... Lol.

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    i've found I used grow lights on mine, and I bottom water with hot water (not boiling) They also have the lights on 24/7.

I planted them all in a spagnum moss mix and not dirt.

Here, check out what I've done and how its worked out here:

http://fromseed.blogspot.com

You should also try BYC's sister site on gardening! Its GREAT!

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/

3. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Awesome, thank you! Did you use lights on them even before they sprouted? I have grow lights on in my bathroom at all times for two planted tanks that I have, and I have plenty of room to add "land plants" as well. [​IMG]

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I do for most of them leave them on even when I first plant them... I only have a couple kinds that needed dark to germinate!

I usually just move all the plants around between kitchen / bath / office until everyone needs constant light.

however, I'm out of lights and cart/counter/shelf space!!!! ARGH!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by