Sprouting Wheat Berries

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KBNAZ, Feb 7, 2013.

1. KBNAZ

KBNAZ Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2012
    Tucson Arizona
    My Coop
    We have a bunch of old wheat berries left over from our CSA like 2 years ago. I was reading about sprouting grains and decided to try it. I soaked over night and left them in a mason jar on our kitchen window sill, then had to go out of town for business and gave hubby the instructions on rinsing twice a day... which he completely forgot to do. I came home after 2 days to really soaked, fermented smelling wheat berries... with some bubbles on top of the water.

I have rinsed them and have them sitting in the jar with no water tonight. Wondering if I can feed to our girls tomorrow, or if it would be bad for them??

I have read different threads about fermenting different things for chickens, but I am not really clear on whether 3 day soaked, exposed to sunlight, fermented wheat berries would fall into the categories of safe and nutritious.

Thanks for humoring a newbie!

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If they haven't gone moldy then you can feed them. Not being sure of how long they were soaked or where they were in sprouting, I think I would feed them sooner rather then later.

3. KBNAZ

KBNAZ Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2012
    Tucson Arizona
    My Coop
    Thanks! They loved them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by