Sprouting wheat from a moisture compromised bag

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sharon McK, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Sharon McK

Sharon McK New Egg

Jan 15, 2015
    I received a free bag of local wheat. Upon opening it to start a batch of sprouts, there are weevils, which is ok, though fewer grains to sprout, but when bagging up to put in the freezer, I see there are also clumps of dust in the middle and bottom. The dust I assume to be the feces, but clumping indicates moisture, right? Is this bag usable for sprouting at all? I was thinking of treating with some vinegar in the soak, then if there is no mold growing, is that safe?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Personally, I'd not bother to sprout that stuff. If I had it, I'd bury it in a hot compost or haul it to the dump. If you bring it in your house, you run the risk of infesting your kitchen pantry with the miserable bugs.

3. Sharon McK

Sharon McK New Egg

Jan 15, 2015
    Yes, that was why I was rebagging for the freezer, which happens to have room.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The moisture/clumping would be from the weevils themselves processing the moisture naturally in the grain.

I'd make darn sure your freezer is subzero as some pests won't be killed by a typical freezer.

I process the wheat bran for my meal worm farm in a 300 degree oven for 30 minutes or so stirring frequently as I don't have a subzero freezer.

5. Sharon McK

Sharon McK New Egg

Jan 15, 2015
    Ah. Good to know re subzero, will turn it down to its lowest. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by