sprouts for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by wildorchid053, Dec 17, 2009.

1. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    we live where there is snow 5 mos out of the yr. and greens that are left over are hard to come by.. so i was thinking sprouting my own greens.. what Can't they have? or are sprouts not good for them? i just wonder if you put them in a jar with a damp scott towel is that asking for mold or germs that are toxic to them? they do smell kind of musty when you open the lid.. if need be i can plant grass and put it in our southern windows to grow.. is that better?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Get a big bag of red clover seeds. Use a mason jar with a screen over the top. Rinse twice a day and have them rest top down so you don't get mold.

Guess what my ducks had for breakfast this morning? [​IMG] Sprouted clover seeds in water.

3. LAMchop

LAMchop Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    SW VA
    I love the clover seed idea! I've been working on sprouting peas, we'll see how well those go over tomorrow...

4. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    This time of year here there is almost nothing green outside for them to eat so I have been sprouting all sorts of stuff. Alfalfa, and Mung Beans were the first. Then I tried Wheat grass and Peas and both worked very well. Also I planted the Wheat Grass and that also is a favorite. Now I am trying sprouting BOSS as I have read some posts here that other people have done this.

I will say that it does take the girls a little while to realize that "hey this stuff is pretty good". I do have some White Clover seed that I was saving to plant this spring but it sounds like I should try that as well. The sprouting jar method works well and doesn't take much time or attention to do. After the sprouts are ready I put the jar on its side in a sunny window for one day so they green up a little and then rinse with water and feed to the girls the next morning. Good Luck and Happy Sprouting![​IMG]

5. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I have been sprouting cereal grasses and growing the grass for my girls for a while now- it's so easy and they love it. I don't have a lawn or pasture, and since the greens in winter are harder to come by (my vegetable garden cuttings) I feel this is essential.

I sprout a combination of wheat,barley,oat, rye, and flax seeds. When they have sprouted and have little white shoots coming out- I place them in a plastic container with tiny drainage holes and no soil (their roots will begin to tangle and hold it all together) rinsing &draining thoroughly 2-3 times daily. I place in a sunny window after a day or two to turn green and when the grass is about 6" high I begin cutting it and feeding it to them- they gobble it up.

After doing this several times I then chop up the entire plants- seeds/root/leaves and all and they eat the entire thing. When chopping the seeds it creates almost a "milky" substance and they will drink that too. The girls are gorgeous with glossy feathers and they are healthy. It's super easy & since I already sprout for my family it's easy to add another container at the same time. They get this several times a week.

As a side note- This is not their whole diet - it is a "supplement" to their regular diet of layer pellets- plus they get supplemental worm feedings occasionally from my worm bins- they gobble those up too.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  6. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    Quote:Your combination sounds very interesting. I am going into town today and will get some of those grains to try, I really like the idea of the flax seeds. Thanks A Bunch![​IMG]

7. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    Quote:Your combination sounds very interesting. I am going into town today and will get some of those grains to try, I really like the idea of the flax seeds. Thanks A Bunch![​IMG]

Good Luck and happy sprouting! I use an organic sprout mix called "kat grass" from the Sprout People- I forgot to say it also has triticale in it too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by