1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SPROUTS FOR THE GIRLS

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by m6246, Apr 21, 2017.

1. m6246

m6246 Just Hatched

Apr 21, 2017
    So I have spent the last two hours reading all kinds of info about feeding chickens sprouts...I have learned a ton...one answer I could not find is can I mix wheat, barley and oats together and then sprout them? or do I have to sprout separately and then mix...is there a significant difference in sprouting times?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    You need to sprout separately because of germination times being different if for fodder. But if you start a tray of each and they sprout at the same time----I would mix them---my personal opinion. BUT if one starts sprouting a day or two later----I would not.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  3. catinthecoop

catinthecoop Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2017
    I would love to know the answer too, are you talking about sprouts or fodder, that takes a few more days?

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I have sprouted wheat and barley in the same jar. Also have added sunflower seeds. Once you are familiar with sprouting times for each grain, and how well it sprouts, how much soaking time is beneficial, you can easily mix and match to your heart's delight. I do not sprout to the fodder stage. IMO, there is optimal nutrition when feeding at the sprout stage, but I like to green my sprouts up before feeding them out. I have had up to 5 jars of sprouts at a time on my window sill in the kitchen all winter. It's so nice to have something, anything growing in the winter. It helps the snow season pass for a seed addict like myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by