Spunky hen emaciated and thirsty!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Coleridge Ranch, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Coleridge Ranch

Coleridge Ranch New Egg

Jul 24, 2011
    This is our first year with chickens so we appreciate help from all the folks with expertise!

One of our four Gingernut Ranger hens is approximately 8 months old and has never laid that we can tell. Her comb and wattle are pale and small and her ear lobes are pale, often blueish. She is spunky, attentive, likes to be held, and is the first one in line for food, but she doesn't seem to swallow as much as I see the other hens do and seems to be thirstier too. When I pick her up I can feel her breast bone sticking out because she is so thin. She can't weigh more than a pound or two!

We feed the hens an organic laying pellet and occasional food scraps in the sandy coop run and then on weekends they free range in the yard. The coop itself is an Omlet Eglu. To date we've started adding about a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to the coop nipple waterer (which is a converted gallon juice container) and as of yesterday have added DE to the feed and in the coop run. We'd like to treat her ourselves.

Any suggestions?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:At 8 months could be worms, just a guess though, but being under weight with good appetite kinda makes me think that way. Worms can bring a chicken down pretty quick, Round worms are the most common and you dson't have to see the worms in their poop for them to be wormy. You might want to get Wazine and treat the flock you mix it in their water. instructions on the bottle. Then in 10 days worm with Valbazen or some other good all round wormer. Good luck and hope she gets to feeling better. Also while they are being wormed you might want to give them some probiotics in the form of buttermilk or powder form from feed store. Let us know how she is. Adding ACV to their drinking water is good but won't kill worms. will help with crop issues.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:At 8 months could be worms, just a guess though, but being under weight with good appetite kinda makes me think that way. Worms can bring a chicken down pretty quick, Round worms are the most common and you dson't have to see the worms in their poop for them to be wormy. You might want to get Wazine and treat the flock you mix it in their water. instructions on the bottle. Then in 10 days worm with Valbazen or some other good all round wormer. Good luck and hope she gets to feeling better. Also while they are being wormed you might want to give them some probiotics in the form of buttermilk or powder form from feed store. Let us know how she is. Adding ACV to their drinking water is good but won't kill worms. will help with crop issues.

[​IMG]

x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by