Spur buds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JakRat, Aug 10, 2011.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    All my birds have the little bumps on the backs of their legs. Does this mean that they are all roosters???

2. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    No, I asked this not that long ago. Different breeds have the little lumps.

3. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:Whew! I got nervous when I saw a previous post. I keep getting conflicting info so I thought I would ask.

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Never fear. All my hens had spur buds when they were babies and still do. They just didn't grow into spurs.

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Actually, some hens DO grow spurs - I have a good friend with a hen with some honkin' spurs...I'm not talking 'bout buds, either - real, full-length, SHARP ones.

6. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Quote:So glad I came across this because I just noticed spur buds on my 5 week old dom and was wondering. [​IMG]

7. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Quote:Yah, I had to go to the doc and get a shot after a puncture wound from a 3 year old Rhode Island Red female's spur went into my thumb. It was just as long and sharp as a rooster spur.

8. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Some hens have actual spurs, some have just buds, but what about one of each?

So how is this for weird?

Last night I noticed my hen has a definite spur type thing on one leg, and a very tiny bud on the other.

I posted about it in the chicken behavior board, but nobody was interested. I thought it was weird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by