1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

spur bump?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bakinghomesteader, Mar 23, 2009.

1. bakinghomesteader

bakinghomesteader Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    central Illinois
    do both male and female have a tiny bump on the back of their legs down by their feet? Or is it just roos? Mine are a little over 2 weeks and I see some on some and I don't really see it on the ones that I got out of the pullet bin. [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    They both have those little bumps on the inside of their legs. Won't see rooster spurs til 8 or 9 month or later.

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Yes, both males and females have spur bumps. It's not a reliable indicator of gender. Cockerels take quite a bit of time before theirs turn into spurs. My 8 month old cockerel still only has 1/2 inch spurs on the backs of his legs.

4. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    Some hens will even get spurs. I had some Old english get them it looks like extra sharp thorns. I even have a Polish that has fake spurs they look like pencil erasers.

5. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    lol! I just posted this exact same thing about 30 mins ago!

I got all the same responses - the bumps are normal for girls and boys, so we're all good [​IMG]

6. bakinghomesteader

bakinghomesteader Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    central Illinois
    lol. Doh! Well, I just seemed to notice it more on the chicks that are getting combs and they are getting red/pink. One of them is still yellow and small in one of the same breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by