Spur Bumps on Chicks: Roosters?? Photo included...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by spacecowgirl, Mar 26, 2012.

1. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    I have three new chicks that are only three weeks old, one Leghorn and two Easter Eggers. I have just noticed that they all have teeny tiny little spur bumps!!! I was hoping for hens, as I don't want to have to go through the trouble of re-homing cockerels...one of the Easter Eggers is way smaller than the other, so I thought (it) might be a hen, but I just don't know...

Do pullets start out with spur bumps at a very young age sometimes, or should I go ahead and start thinking about getting some new chicks? [​IMG]

I'm hoping someone tells me I still have a chance; I already have a rooster and that's the most we can accommodate..[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    all chicks have them and some hens even develop spurs...you have any pics of the chicks you could post with comb shots?

3. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Sure thing...here's the Leghorn. I got the one of the smallest one out of the hatch hoping for hen:
    [​IMG]

Here's the bigger of the two EE's, sorry such a bad photo but it's hard photographing chickens...he was just poking his head out, this is the one I think is a cockerel because he also already has a much bigger tail.
    [​IMG]

And this is the smaller EE. I just have a feeling it's a girl...
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any and all of your help!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by