spur injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by paul65, Aug 26, 2008.

1. paul65

paul65 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    SW Pennsylvania
    Ok so i go to open the coop up this morning and look at my welsumer roo on the roost an see his one spur well he did not have much of a spur to begin with because he is only 21 weeks but it looks like the scales just burst open and he has a sweled up knob it looks like its sore i tried to touch it and i could tell he felt it what should i do.

2. paul65

May 26, 2008
    SW Pennsylvania
    no one.

3. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Just keep area clean (betadine) and apply Plain Neosporin to any raw areas. If other chooks are observed picking at him seperate him from flock. If you can post a shot, that would be helpful. Good luck.

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Our White Face Black Spanish hen, Eleanor, cracked her spur. It bled quite a bit. I put tea tree oil on it to clean up any germs and tried to bandage it. Well, Eleanor ripped the gauze off, so I left it off. I kept her in the infirmary for a couple of days before returning her to the hen house.

Her spur grew back, but it is growing upwards instead of straight out.

Other than it looks a little funny, she is doing just fine. I'm sure your bird will be fine too.

5. paul65

May 26, 2008
    SW Pennsylvania
    thanks for replys Im afraid to separate he's young and he's a little mean to the hens if i take him out then put him in later i think he may get worse so far he is ok i just checked on him he was riding a hen so it can't be that bad lol ill check it to nite while they roost. My cam would do no good for a close up of something that small it would be a blur. again thx for replys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by