Spur issue in hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rrbriss, Dec 27, 2016.

1. rrbriss

rrbriss Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2011
    Guildhall, VT
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We have a sussex hen that has spurs about to grow back into her legs. Sorry about the photo we just put Vaseline on her feet and legs then I decided to take the photos. As you can see they are not true spurs like on our roosters so I am not sure if cutting these back is an option? Suggestions?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. rrbriss

rrbriss Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2011
    Guildhall, VT
    She actually has all her toes they are tough to see in the photo. She is also a good layer during laying season.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe a vet could tell you if removing that toe(spur?) would be the best solution.

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I've never seen anything like that before. Hope someone on the emergency forum or a vet can help her out.

Good luck!

6. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Personally, here's what I'd try: With help, one person hold the bird, legs away from that person. Take a pair of pliers, gently grab the spur at the base, close to the leg, pliers parallel to the leg. Hold the leg still with your other hand. Gently (just enough squeeze pressure to hold it...not too tight) "twist" the spur and see if it pops at the base. If it does, it should slide right off, like a sheath on a knife. It may bleed a tiny bit, can use some cornstarch, or just pat it dry, or hold pressure for a bit, and it should stop.
    If it doesn't pop off easily, then no harm done, explore other options.

If it works, there will be another smaller, soft spur under it, that will harden. Process can be repeated later on.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by