spur prevention?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ernie85017, Aug 27, 2014.

1. ernie85017

ernie85017 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    Is there something that can be done to the spurs (the bud) to prevent them from sprouting?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    As far as I know, there's nothing you can do to prevent spurs from developing, and really no reasons to do it anyways. Its a normal part of a rooster growing up. Spurs can easily be dealt with by trimming or removing the outer casing later on if they become sharp, too long, or a problem.

3. JennieRD

JennieRD Chillin' With My Peeps

As Wyandotes7 said they can not be removed permanently, But I found the best way to deal with them is to remove the outer casing. It last the longest, up to 6 months on some breeds.

I bake a potatoe in the microwave, by damponing it, then wrapping it in a plastic grocery bagand bake it for 5 minutes, place the hot potatoe on the spur for a 30 seconds being carful not to touch the bird or burn his leg. Then Gently pull the outer casing off using needle nose pliers. It should slide off with little effort.

IMPORTANT!! Keep him away from other birds for at least a week. It will be tender and sore for a while, and can easily be torn, ripped or pecked by other birds. Once it heals, it will harden like the skin on his legs and he will be fine for several months before you have to repeat the removal.

But if he is not a problem, I would leave it alone. If he is injuring the hens I use this method. If he is overly aggressive, The spurs wont matter, his beak can do a lot more damage, then its up to you to decide how to deal with him...Good luck.

4. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    If the option is available to you, and you have someone to help you (or you are very good at holding a chicken gently but firmly with your legs), a dremel can be used to blunt the spur tip. When done correctly and by only taking the sharp tip down to a rounded point, it won't hurt him or cause injury. This is only necessary if he is accidentally injuring the hens with his spurs. It is in the best interest of a rooster to be gentle and not harm his hens, so I have never found it necessary with my "good" roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by