1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spur removal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by my first peepers, Jul 23, 2008.

1. my first peepers

my first peepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    South Western VT
    I don't know if this is the right place to post this...I read somewhere that you can remove a roosters spurs by rubbing them with oil and gently twisting them. Has anyone ever done this? Is it cruel? It seems like in would be nicer for the hens and us too if he ever decided to use them...

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  3. my first peepers

Jul 9, 2008
    South Western VT
    Thanks, that was helpful! I'm still figuring this all out! Everyone here is so friendly and knowledgable! I am really enjoying it and learning so much!!!

4. TerrasCritters

TerrasCritters In a new coop

Oct 24, 2007
    The first time I did it I was told to soak it in hydrogen peroxide and then take pliers and twist it off.
    So I tried it, and I thought how am I going to soak just the spur? I would have to put his whole foot in a cup of this stuff, so instead I just kept soaking cotton balls and wrapping his spur with it and letting it soak seemed like FOREVER! But they came off, it did bleed.

The WHOLE spur will not come off though but it will take it down alot in size.

The second time I read where you heat up a potato, stab the potato with the spur, let it sit there for a few seconds take it off and I could twist with just my fingers and it came off. Quick and simple! I put it in the microwave for about 30 - 45 seconds to heat it, it was hot to my hands touch and used my sleeve to hold the potato, but there was 0 bleeding what so ever.

Also you might want to put your bird in a cage by himself that he cant hurt himself in after you take the spur off, his spur will be very sensitive. The roo that bleed I stopped the bleeding then put him in his own cage and he bled more. The second was already in his own cage in quarantine and was fine. That ones spurs were like 1.5 inches long!

Good luck!

5. my first peepers

Jul 9, 2008
    South Western VT
    Thanks, that helps too!
    The whole thing sounds kind of terrifying to me! But so does getting stuck by a spur...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by