Spur Trimming Gone Bad-Need Advice!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jwiltrout99, Dec 13, 2014.

1. jwiltrout99

jwiltrout99 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    Hello! I hope someone can give me some advice fast! My husband and I were trimming our sweet Rooster, Chicken Little, spurs. They were way too long. We normally just clip them back a little (no where close to the quick) but this time Chicken Little moved his leg and the entire spur came off exposing the small new spur underneath. He bled some but we were able to to stop it. He seemed OK at first but now about 2 hrs later, he seems like he is in pain. The pain didn't seem to start until after he tried flogging me. He is limping badly and the bleeding has been off and on. There isn't a lot of blood but I'm worried....mostly because he is in pain. Any advice would be appreciated! He is a house pet and a good boy! He flogged me because a piece of thread got wrapped around his other leg while I was setting him down. I think that scared him. Help! I'm worried! I don't want him to be in pain.

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    You can give him half a baby aspirin...that might help. Just keep an eye on him, he should be fine. If it continues to bleed off and on I'd spray some BluKote on it after cleaning it really good.

3. jwiltrout99

jwiltrout99 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    Thank you for the reply and advice! He seems to be better now. I think he has enjoyed the extra attention and being held most of the day. Even though he's still limping he is at least putting weight on that leg and scratching. He's even gotten excited (cluck! cluck! cluck!) about his food! PHEW! I think it hurt me more mentally than it did him physically. I still have one more spur to trim though. I think we'll wait a few days and then make sure we have better hold of his leg so he can't pull away. We have never had any problems with this.....until today. Thanks again!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by