Spurs almost grown back into roosters leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RockwaterFarm, Mar 5, 2011.

1. RockwaterFarm

RockwaterFarm Songster

Feb 17, 2010
    East Hartland, CT
    My 2 year old bantam rooster has very long and sharp spurs. When i picked him up yesterday, i noticed that the were growing up into his leg. Ive seen some pictures of roosters that this has happened to but i dont want ti to happen to him. I dont really want to twist it off because i like his spurs. I just need to know the safest way to cut some of it off. Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
  3. RockwaterFarm

RockwaterFarm Songster

Feb 17, 2010
    East Hartland, CT
    I think i acrually have those same ones!! Do i just cut off the tip and keep have to cut it or should i cut it further down?

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    You can probably cut off about half, but do the thinnest part first and go from there. They are REALLY hard to cut through. [​IMG]

5. RockwaterFarm

RockwaterFarm Songster

Feb 17, 2010
    East Hartland, CT
    Thanks

6. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Our roo's either curves behind, or into leg. We just remove about a 1/3" with a hacksaw (28 teeth per inch). Takes about 10 min. to trim the `scimitar' spur (plopped on his side and secured on one of our laps while the `spurricurist' removes the excess). The `overgrowth' below (before and after pics - dressing was for bumblefoot) took a little longer (20min). Definitely shorten up (even if only a little by using file/emery board) before the spur makes contact with leg. Some folks use Dremels, etc. Our roo pretty much goes into trance while being attended to (no binding in kerf/very little chance of accidental injury from this kind of blade).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    My first silkie roo was that way and I cut them back and I had a sliver polish roo that his went straight out and he got to where he couldnt walk so I had to cut his too. Be careful as they will bleed if you cut to much.

8. RockwaterFarm

RockwaterFarm Songster

Feb 17, 2010
    East Hartland, CT
    I just cut a little off today. I like the look of long spurs. Since hes a bantam i just used the dog clippers, thanks for the idea Cloverleaf Farm. Im gunna have to do my Maran soon though. Im thinking of using a Dremel. Its probably quicker than a hacksaw.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

We use a dremel all the time, but lately, I have decided to leave the spurs long and just blunt the ends. My DH uses protective gloves and I hold the bird so he doesn't accidentally cut into the bird's leg or his own fingers.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

how much do they bleed when doing this? or does it depend on the bird?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: