Spurs gone, blood, and Blu-Kote not helping!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Moochie, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    We took off Charlie's spurs with pliers on Monday of this week. My mom used pliers and twisted the spurs off at the base, we even watched a vid to know what we're doing.
    But the tip of the inner part broke somehow and it was bleeding, so I took a napkin to it and some water but it continued. I read that you could use white sugar to stop bleeding so my mom sprinkled some on (we didn't know what amount to put). We then sprayed BluKote and hot pick to prevent the hens picking at it. On Tuesday in the morning there was blood on the sidewalks an after I sprayed it off with the hose I looked at Charlie. The spur area was just messy and the BluKote faded sort of so I assumed the hens were picking at it. I sprayed more BluKote and hot pick.
    Does it normally bleed like that? What did we do wrong?
    Any remedies to fix the messy look and any other damage?

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    The Hot Pick may be burning and he may be pecking at the area himself-it has cayenne pepper in it.
    Clean it up, put some Neosporin without pain reliever on it, wrap it with some vet wrap and isolate him until it heals.
    IF the bleeding continues, use flour or cornmeal to stop it.

3. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    You can use styptic powder (at TSC, farm or pet stores) or plain old kitchen flour to stop the bleeding.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i was thinking flour too- i have used it on many of my feathereds and it works-

5. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    Just an FYI, if hotpick is a pepper based anti-picking product (meant for dogs, cats, or horses) it won't work for birds. Birds can't 'taste' the heat in peppers, to them it is another flavor and they LOVE hot peppers, even ones so hot as to cause humans discomfort.

In fact, dried hot peppers are a common treat for large parrots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by