Spurs on rooster

shannon84

Crowing
7 Years
Jun 1, 2016
Indiana
Hi, my question is what is the best tool to clip a roosters spurs? I've been using dog nail clippers and they are hardly strong enough to cut through the thick spurs. I prefer not to use a dremal. Also how far can I cut. I'm so scared I'm going to cut into his quick or whatever it's called lol. Thanks!!!

you could just remove them permanently? all you have to do is use pliers and grab and twist, I am not sure if it hurts them. the quick is left behind. (I am assuming it hurts them, but it could save them the pain of getting them clipped all the time:confused:)

you could just remove them permanently? all you have to do is use pliers and grab and twist, I am not sure if it hurts them. the quick is left behind. (I am assuming it hurts them, but it could save them the pain of getting them clipped all the time:confused:)
I did that baked potato method and it tramatized us both I think, one spur bled like crazy it freaked me out so bad, I had to soak it and Dr it because I was so scared it would get infected. When I did his other spur it didn't bled at all! So I told myself I wouldn't do that again lol. Do you do that to your roosters? Do they bleed?

I did that baked potato method and it tramatized us both I think, one spur bled like crazy it freaked me out so bad, I had to soak it and Dr it because I was so scared it would get infected. When I did his other spur it didn't bled at all! So I told myself I wouldn't do that again lol. Do you do that to your roosters? Do they bleed?
I have never done it, I was just suggesting looking into it:confused:

I also use a heavy duty dog nail trimmer, preferable in the hand of a strong male person! I hold the bird, and he trims, and actually a Dremel is helpful in smoothing off the rough trimmed edges.
Recently two of my roosters managed to remove one spur each, just outside one day. No fighting, no drama, just a missing spur. Both birds are due to have their other spur trimmed anyway.
Mary

I wrap gorilla tape around my rooster’s spurs, or just regular duct tape. Gorilla tape is stronger though and works better. Sometimes I clip the very tip. I tried to completely blunt it with a Dremel but it bled and that type of bleeding is VERY difficult to stop. Your rooster can bleed to death that way (you can use bloodstop powder or cornstarch to help stop it if it does start). I think it is safer to go the duct tape route. For me, the duct tape eventually peeled off some spur and left a blunt tip on one. I’m waiting for that to happen with the other one so that I can leave them untaped. Also if the spurs are sharp the rooster can tear the hen’s sides during mating. I’ve had it happen more than once!

Back
Top Bottom