spurs on roosters

yokie

Hatching
10 Years
Nov 27, 2009
I'm looking for somone to fill me in on this question? At what age do roosters usually get a spur or do hens have spots that look like spurs but are not raised much? thanks,
yokie!

Did you get your roos from a hatchery? Most of the time hatcheries cut off the small spurs when they are little. Hens can have small stubs where are roos usually are. Also
welcome-byc.gif
from Lutz,FL.

Quote:
They never grow back. Did you hatch them yourself? It is hard to say how long until they grow but I would say they start to develop as they grow.

I've never heard of a hatchery removing a chicks spur buds.

Spurs on males don't really start to grow until they're about a year old. Both genders have a spot on the inside of each leg which will become a spur as the male gets older. Females can also grow spurs, it's more common in some breeds than others but can crop up on any breed.

I've never heard of a hatchery removing a chicks spur buds.

My guys were day-olds, and I got them a day or two after that. They were marked as males, but no sign of any boo-boos on their legs. I didn't even notice the lumps growing on their legs until they were really starting to mature. So, if this roo survives much longer (questionable, he got very uppity with someone the other day) I'll see about making sure his spurs get trimmed when they come in.​

Back
Top Bottom