spurs on roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yokie, Nov 27, 2009.

1. yokie

yokie New Egg

Nov 27, 2009
    I'm looking for somone to fill me in on this question? At what age do roosters usually get a spur or do hens have spots that look like spurs but are not raised much? thanks,
    yokie!

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Did you get your roos from a hatchery? Most of the time hatcheries cut off the small spurs when they are little. Hens can have small stubs where are roos usually are. Also [​IMG] from Lutz,FL.

3. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Does that mean the hatchery rooster's spurs will never re-grow? What about roos my hens hatch, how old will they be when they get spurs?

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:They never grow back. Did you hatch them yourself? It is hard to say how long until they grow but I would say they start to develop as they grow.

5. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never heard of a hatchery removing a chicks spur buds.

Spurs on males don't really start to grow until they're about a year old. Both genders have a spot on the inside of each leg which will become a spur as the male gets older. Females can also grow spurs, it's more common in some breeds than others but can crop up on any breed.

6. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    I've never heard of a hatchery removing a chicks spur buds.

My guys were day-olds, and I got them a day or two after that. They were marked as males, but no sign of any boo-boos on their legs. I didn't even notice the lumps growing on their legs until they were really starting to mature. So, if this roo survives much longer (questionable, he got very uppity with someone the other day) I'll see about making sure his spurs get trimmed when they come in.​

7. srmauldin

srmauldin New Egg

Apr 20, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl
    I have 26 chickens and one rooster. the ladies removed his spurs for him, talk about hen-pecked

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by