Spurs on very young hens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KalikoFarms, Sep 24, 2011.

1. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Is it true that hens can also have spots on theur legs that feel like spurs? I am sending pictures of ours and there is a very big argument going on here because of a little old lady that said hens cant have these type of bumps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This one is blurry, he moved right as the picture was taken.
    [​IMG]

Thanks
    Rita

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:My game hen is the only one of my female chickens to have them. they are right where the spurs are on my roosters.

3. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

All hens will have a little bump where the spur on a rooster grows out. But on a hen it will never grow out, it will always just be a little bump.[​IMG]

4. moondog425

moondog425 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    tn
    I have a hen that has spurs about three quarters of an inch long !!!!! [​IMG]

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    You mean a bump like this?
    [​IMG]

That's one of my Barred Rock pullets -- and now....
    [​IMG]

Hens can most definitely have spurs -- I had a Black Australorp hen who had spurs about 3/4 inch long.

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    The little old lady is incorrect -- lots of pullets have a nub on their leg where a spur would grow on a rooster. Some of them will grow spurs there but most will not.

7. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Thanks everyone, I have had chickens before and did have a few hens that had spur spots and one had a small spur but as I said the little old lady [​IMG] knows what shes talking about. [​IMG] I just wanted to mainly back myself up and give a hoot who else believes me.

Thanks to all again [​IMG]
    Rita

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, I've made it a career decision not to argue with little old ladies, but those are pullets. As stated, they all get the little bump/bud, most of them don't go past that but I have a few with fairly impressive spurs, these are older hens 5+year. Won't the lol be suprised when your "roosters" lay pretty brown eggs!

9. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    agreed, they ALL get the bump and may or may not develope past that. Certain breeds like some of the games, and many of my phoenix will get 1/2 - 1 inch spurs with ease.
    But YES ALL HENS WILL HAVE SPUR BUMPS

10. manybirds

manybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Quote:i've had hens with spurs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by