spurs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by caroline, Nov 24, 2008.

1. caroline

caroline Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2008
    Ok, first of all, sorry for posting this in here but was not sure on where else to post it. Secondly, can someone either tell me or post pictures of spurs? What age do cockerels develop them? All of my babies (now 10 weeks old) have always had a little bump, about the size of a large pimple on the inside of their legs (one bump on each leg). The bumps have not grown at all. They are simply tiny raised dots. However, as I am not sure if I yet have pullets or cockerels, I would like to know if all chicks get these little bumps or just cockerels? If they are cockerels, are these spurs?
    Look forward to your response:)

2. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    all of mine, boys and girls had them. [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    All chickens including the pullets can have the spur bumps, they just continue to grow in the cockerels. My two roos are 7 1/2 months old and just starting to get well defined spurs.
    There are many other more reliable ways to tell your cockerels from your pullets.
    I'll bet if you posted some pics we could help ya out. [​IMG]

4. caroline

Nov 17, 2008
    thanks for that. will try to upload some photos but never done it before on this so here goes.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hope this works:/

5. caroline

Nov 17, 2008
    they are only 8 weeks old here.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The darker brown and black one in the second pic looks "roo-ish" to me.
    I'm not 100% sure on the others without individual pics, but they look like eight week old pullets to me.

7. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Your birds are so cute [​IMG]
    Most of my birds have those bumps,and my rooster's has grown into spurs.I also have an old hen that has spurs longer than any of my roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by