1. Shadow722

Shadow722 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Outlying Oklahoma City
    I have an old rooster whose spurs are so large he can barely walk and often sits rather than stand. A breeder told me to saw his spurs of and put bees wax over them to heal up. To me that sounded cruel and painful not to mention getting the rooster to let me do it. Someone else mentioned getting a hot baked potato cut in half and put it on his spurs and then get pliers and remove the spurs. This also sounded bad to me. Is there a humane method to making spurs shorter and more manageable?

2. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Using a Dremel tool is a popular method.

3. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Could it be clipped? Isn't it just like a toe nail...

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    On the website linked in my sig below, there is a page on several methods of blunting or shortening roosters' spurs, as well as instructions & photos.

I feel for roosters whose spurs have grown long enough to make them uncomfortable!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The hot potato method is the easiest and less stressful way to remove spurs. No pain for the rooster, no noise to frighten the rooster neither. Nuke the potato in the microwave like you're going to eat it. Wear an oven glove holding the pototo down onto the base of the spur for one minute. Do NOT let the hot potato touch his leg. Use pliers to twist and pull off the spur. You'll see that it's very easily removed. Then do the same thing to the other spur using the same potato, it'll still be hot enough. You can put Blu-Kote or neosporin on the small spurs afterwards if you wish. As a treat to your rooster for being a good boy, give him the potato to eat after it cools down. He'll probably want to share it with his girls.

6. Shadow722

Shadow722 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Outlying Oklahoma City
    The potato method worked good. But the bone under the spurs looked more hazardous than the spurs. They were quite long and the point was much sharper than the spur. The rooster died not from removing the spurs but a young rooster (his son) killed him. He fought him until his pride was gone and I found him standing in a corner all bloody. I cleaned him up and quarantined him but he wouldn't eat or drink. I think he was shamed and lost the will to live.

7. Bufster2

Bufster2 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2015
    MO
    You cant cut a spur as you would toenail.It is first off,too tough,and hard to cut off.

I heard vets who remove them.The farmers gave you greT advice#

8. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I prefer a rooster with spurs, but I keep them short (about an 1" on a standard breed). I take bits off the end every so often with a pair of large dog nail clippers. I file the ends with a steel groomers file so they are smooth and flat. If you shine a bright light on the spur, you can see the main vain which runs through the center. Try stay in front of the tip of that, but keep some blood stop powder or chalk on hand in case it weeps at the end. You may only be able to remove a half inch or so at a time. But as the vain recedes with the length of the spur, you'll get them down to a desired length cutting back twice a month. A 25 mg Vitamin K tab given each day, 1-2 days before clipping helps prevent excessive bleeding. You could use half that amount for a Bantam. Older chickens may scratch less, so you may need to clip toe nails too. For spurs that get long, a saw like this comes in handy so long as you hold the base of the spur and have control of the roosters body: http://www.amazon.com/Pasco-4290-Ti..._sbs_hi_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0B3AN5RCT5HNFGC8B1PQ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by