1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spying on my chickens being goofy!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wattles, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Wattles

Wattles Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    My chickens sometimes break out into ear-splitting clucking sessions like this after one of them lays an egg. They're so noisy! Here, I filmed them through my living room window which looks out into the coop - sorry about the glare from the glass. Do other people's chickens cluck this loudly? To my horror, they sometimes do this in the morning as well - as early as 6.30am - ugh. Their clucking is so loud even through the glass that I don't even want to think about how loud it is outside next to them (they always stop when I walk outside or open the window.)

Tara

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    eas dropping on your birds. You peeping tom! LOL just playing.

Watching the vid now

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008
  3. newbiecaroline

newbiecaroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    wow "my eggs bigger than your egg!"? lol

4. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Wow that was hysterical! I turned it up and my dog was cocking his head back and forth trying to figure out where it was coming from.
    Only one of my girls is laying and she is very quiet...she does a stressed little sound while she is picking her spot then does one loudish squawk when she lays and then it's over. I'm curious to see how loud the Buff Orps are going to be when they start laying.

5. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Quote:I will post a vid of the buff orp girls 20 weeks from now. Thats when they might lay

6. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Mine are due to start laying any day now. I have one with a very red face, comb and wattles. I'm not sure what she is waiting for. [​IMG]

7. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    redfeathers,

Can you do me a favor and check out the latest buff orp gender pics? I have 3 leaving tonight and want to know which oines are boys and which ones are girls. do girls have red wattles right away or do the boys have red wattles right away? I dont want to give the lady boys instead of girls

8. Kaneke

Kaneke Chillin' With My Peeps

oh, you too ??

one of the girls will lay, then do the bok bok bawwwwwk routine

then the roo will sound off, same way

then one hen, then another, then another

then the roo will chime in again

what a chorus !

9. Jillylam

Jillylam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    Kingwood, NJ
    I love the video! Almost all of ours make the same noise. (RI Reds & EE's) We call it The Egg Celebration.

10. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    thats funny. You notice all of a second when you went into the pen they shut up. Hilarious. Mine do that too, even with me in the pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by