Sq. feet per chicken

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickenPeep, Sep 18, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Simple question: How many square feet per chicken do you need in a coop?

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    4 square feet indoor and 10 square feet of run for each bird

3. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    It partly depends on the weather where you live, and how much time your chickens spend in the coop. Given your cold winters, your chickens probably spend a lot of time in the coop in the winter months. You need that 4 sq ft per bird. In a mild climate like mine, my birds go in the coop to sleep and lay. I can get away with less.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Sorry - but there is no simple answer. You'll get different answers from different people.

Most here on BYC suggest minimums of 4 sq. ft. of indoor space and 10 sq. ft. of outdoor space per bird. But folks in year round warm areas do fine with smaller indoor spaces than that recommendation, while folks up north who get deep snows want MORE than the recommendation. Then there's bird size - One person may have 10 lb. JGs or Brahmas, while another has tiny 1.5 lb sebrights, and breed activity level (some breeds are very calm, handle limited space better than active breeds). Some are contained within a run all day, while others spend a few hours per day outside the run - so the run is a bit flexible too.

So there's more to it than just a simple answer.

5. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

^
    l
    l

Good answer. The breed and temperaments of the birds seem to be key. If you have breeds that "tolerate confinement", 8-10 square feet of space per bird is optimal, although a flock of docile birds could tolerate less. Perches add to the formula and access to sheltering cubbies or rooms seem to calm the birds too. The bottom line is probably the more room they have, the happier they are and the less "pecking order" behavior you will see.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  6. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    4 square feet indoor and 10 square feet of run for each bird

And there, basically, is the answer to your question.​

7. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, Go as big as you can afford and handle, both for coop(house) and run. Believe me the Chicken math gets crazy. You'll have more before you know it. I just finished our big coop and am already buying lumber and planning a second 6' x 10' coop for Bantams. Wife wants Bantams, gotta build another coop and run. That simple. Anyway, good luck.
    Erik

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by