sq ft per bird

MCM37

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 30, 2010
i know that it is 1 sq ft per adult bird but up until the birds are 4 wks old how much do they need each?
oh ya and how do u store your eggs before incubating.

Last edited:
Coturnix 1sq Ft Per Bird
New World Quail ( Bobs, Valleys, Gambels, Etc..) 2 Sq Ft Per Bird

The General Rules Are Lifetime Rules And More Of Guideline Really
smile.png

so even on the chicks?? i did not realize they needed so much room..

I don't think jj understood, or its different for quail then chickens I would like to know this too, I know what you mean how big do you need the brooder, I only had a 2x3 plastic box for my 5 chicken chicks, which all turned out being bantam chicks was wondering why they didn't seem to be growing big thought I was doing something wrong lol. how old are they before you move them out from under a heat lamp they mature quicker then chickens.

You can put a few chicks in a Rubbermaid tub. You'll need to move them as they grow, of course.

The space guidelines are just guidelines. You'll see people who cram birds into much smaller spaces than 1 square foot each (coturnix). Most of those folks plan to butcher their birds - they won't have a long life in a small area.

Then, you have crazy whacked out people like me who have small layer flocks of coturnix quail on pine shavings with 4 square foot per bird. Could they do with less? Sure. However, they are AWFULLY happy and doing tremendously well with that amount of space.

MCM your 2x4 brooder is fine for your 40 Jumbo C. chicks. Around 3-4 weeks you will see they are feathering out nicely and you can move them to the grow out pen.

In the summer I put my babies at 10 days old out in the grow out pen with a light for heat at night only . Now I am going to make a 2x4 brooder box for my hatch, then they will get moved to the grow out pen will a light if need be.

As long as you can run an extention cord with a light for at night to your big grow out pen, don't worry about it. You have it covered.

edited to add: I think if I had a 4x10, I would divide it down the middle lengthwise and put maybe 3 doors on each side down the length. Just an idea. Or make separate breeder cages on and end.

Last edited:
ya i got a 4 x 10 pen and i put bid 2.5ft doors on both ends and i put a wall going width way to make a 7x4 growing pen and a 3x4 breed pen and i figure i can get started with that.. thank you for your help an dclearing that up.

Quote:
OOPS SORRY THAT WAS DURING MORNING COFFEE
smile.png

LOL-- AS BABIES THEY DO FINE WITH SMALLER SPACES, AS JUVENILES THEY WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN THEY ARE CRAMPED (PICKING AND BULLYING BEGIN) I ACTUALLY BROOD ALL MINE IN THE STERILITE PLASTIC TOTES WITH NO PROBLEMS.... I HOUSE AS MANY AS 2 DOZEN IN THE LARGEST TOTES FOR UP TO 4 WKS OR SO WITH NO COMPLICATIONS OTHER THAN FREQ CLEANING
smile.png

As Far As Storing Eggs I Keep Them On The Counter (house Stays 72 Degrees In Warm Months, 65 In Cold Months)in A Spare Autoturner. You'll Find Best Results On Eggs 3-8 Days Old. On Or About Day 10 Hatchability Starts To Take A Nose Dive Really Quick. Hatchability Actually Improves With At Least 48hrs Of Storage. Weird I Know, But I Didnt Design Them
smile.png

Like JJMR said, Bobs need space......as much as possible. Sometimes I wonder if the Superdome would be big enough for two Bobs that are just mad about being alive.....
smile.png
Anyway, right now, I've got 84 Bobs six-weeks-old in a 3'x9' pen! Yep, I know it's the exception, and not the rule. But, all of my grow-out pens are full of ones I'm about to process, and some I'm gonna keep for next year's re-producers. So far, I've been lucky and only lost 1 bird, as they went in there at 2-1/2 weeks old. It's gettin' pretty crowded in there now though, and they will go to a grow-out pen this weekend when I process about 50 or so grown birds. Here's a pic of them at about 4 wks....

43975_quail_9-21-10_007.jpg

Back
Top Bottom