1. salvationfarms

salvationfarms Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    New Albany, MS
    I have heard different things about the sq ft of coops and runs ........... what is the sq ft for both max and min thanks

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    You're in MS? I'd go on the average of 4 sq. feet per chicken in the coop and 10 sq. feet each in the run.

3. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Hope this might help.

Coop wise, where the birds spend the night, I have always been told 2 Sq Ft of walking room and 16 inches of perch length per bird INSIDE when they have a run to go out in.

As for outside, I am just not sure. I happen to use 12X12 dog runs and only have 12 birds per fenced run.

I am sure others no more about this than I do and will chime in with better numbers.

Good Luck

CDA

4. IRL

IRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    The general rule is 4 sq feet in the coop and 10 sq feet in the run. I live in CT and find that my chickens spend very little time in the coop. Personally I think 2 or 3 sq feet in the coop and 20 sq feet in the run would be better.

5. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    Quote:X2. My coop is 4X6, my run is 12X13 for six birds. I let them free range when I'm out in the yard (living in town with plenty dogs sniffing around).

6. chriscos

chriscos Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Everybody here mentions 4 sq. ft. per bird. However, if you are going to free range, and don't have to deal with winter, then I think you can get along with less than that. All my birds free range, and they are out of the coop first thing in the morning and don't return to it until sundown except to drink some water or lay an egg. When they come in at sundown they go up to their spots on the roost and go to sleep for the most part.

However, in the winter time, they rarely come out of the coop to play if there is more than a couple of inches of snow on the ground, which is why I try to stick to 4 sq. ft. per bird for my coops. If I didn't have to deal with winter or long periods of inclement weather, then I think they would be fine with less space in the coop, as they only seem to be sleeping in it when they weather is nice [​IMG]

7. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

8. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

My Raising Chickens for Dummies book says 2-3 sq feet per chicken. Our coop is 4 x 6 and we're planning to keep 8 chickens (was 6 but there are a couple more I can't bear to give up). I'm really hoping that dh will take mercy on me and either build onto our coop or make a bigger one so I can keep all 12. Our run is 10 x 24 (about).

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by