SQ silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miss heny, Jul 14, 2011.

1. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

how do you know if your silkie is SQ or not?

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You buy a copy of The Standard of Perfection, and you see how well your bird meets the description of the Silky in the SOP

3. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  4. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    Some people, like me, learns best by pictures. So you look at websites that have pictures of show-winning birds, compare them to the S.O.P. and then to your birds. Breeding has a lot to do with it. Hatchery birds will almost most definitely NOT meet the standard. But sometimes the worst defect makes them the most loveable....

5. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    okay so heres a question, how do you tell if a chick will be show quality when older?

6. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Quote:You can't. One must wait it out. They have to grow and fill out simply to see it they conform to shape and size requirements...and that's just the beginning.

7. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:You can't. One must wait it out. They have to grow and fill out simply to see it they conform to shape and size requirements...and that's just the beginning.

UGH! Silkies really do teach you patients..

8. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

UGH! Silkies really do teach you patients..

ya [​IMG] she is about 5 months old, no eggs (or crows! we would know since she is right in th back yard fence area)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by