Sq??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GlitterKitty, May 11, 2010.

1. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    This year is my first year showing for the local fair adn I was just wondering if any of my chickens could be shown. We ordered new ones anyways but those will most likely be hatchery quality right?

She's the black one (Im gonna assume australorp?)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help [​IMG]

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    You can show her, but if she goes against anything that is not hatchery quality, she won't stand a chance.

To me, her tail angle and spread is wrong, her stance is poor, her wing carriage looks off because her body seems to slope and angle towards the back.

Now, if you're showing in a local show that will only have birds from a hatchery, you stand as much chance as the next person. But, with APA standards in use, she won't have much of a chance at all. I would contact the superintendent of the show and see how the birds will be judged.

3. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    I agree with rodregez also but I think you should go for the experience and the chance to meet people that could help you out .. and please come back and show us your winnins..
    She does almost lean just a little toward squirll tailed but she has some good points too..When you go try to fluff up her feathers befor her tail to make that look just a little fuller after her bath and hopefully it wont make the tail look so straight up,.. overall not bad at all shes a nice breasty bird and hes right she carries herself little upright.. Do they have a class for eggs too? Thats always fun collecting up your best. australorps are nice and smooth eggs you dont have to fuss much . Go have fun and learn lots ask questions there and the judges are pretty nice about helping you out.. and explaining thier scores..

Check the soles of her feet and if australorps should be whitish grey, even pinkish ..not black or yellow.

Im really looking forward to seeing your ribbon so dont forget to post it for us.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I'm sorry, yes, by all means go for the experience! Go to learn and share stories and get information to help you in future shows. There's nobody quite like other exhibitors to get help and ideas from.

5. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Thanks! I sure will try at least [​IMG] And I'll look into the eggs because I do get some beautiful eggs often! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by