sqft needed for coop and run???

smcdermott

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 9, 2014
Central Fl
Hi all. We are starting our coop this weekend.
Just wanted to double check what sq ft is needed per hen in the coop and in the run???
We already have figured 32sq ft for the coop and 128 sq ft for the run. I am thinking this would comfortably hold 12 hens.

Welcome!!! 32 sq. ft. of coop might hold twelve very quiet bantams, but plan on no more than six or seven very sweet full sized birds. The run sounds good for the group, but build bigger for the coop. Mary

It depends on if you are going to free range them and just close them up at night in the coop. If they are only spending the night since you live in FL, you can get more in there than if they have to live in that space all the time.

A lot of people have a run but still free range them.

I agree with Folly's Place.

For the run, the bigger the better!! They love more space to roam.

I would put a netting over it too if you have hawks or owls there.

Make sure you close them up tight at night in their coop unless you have it all protected with 1/2 inch hardware cloth including the ceiling of the run, and aproned out or buried along the bottom. Only 1/2 inch hardware cloth is predator-proof.

Be sure to use the hardware cloth on your coop windows.

Last edited:
This is approximately what it will look like but out of metal. Over 7' at pitch so we can easily walk in and clean. Completely covered and predator safe.

I think the rule of thumb is 4.5 sq/ft per chicken in the coop. For 12 birds, you would need 54 sq/ft. But I don't know how critical that is.

It's all about the roosting space if you don't lock your chickens in for days or winters. 12 large fowl birds would fit nicely in 32 sqft for only laying eggs and roosting at night. The problem with smaller coops is it can be harder when integrating new birds.

Back
Top Bottom