sqft per- bird ????coop and run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by johnnyjack, Nov 25, 2007.

1. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    ok iv read alot on this but one question i have is,((( when ya figure ur sq ft do ya go with the sqft in the coop or do ya figure it all together.))) like my run is about 200sqft of floor space and 6 ft tall,and the coop is about 24sqft of floor space 6ft tall . im trying to figuer for leghorns.book says 1 1/2 sqft per bird.

2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Floor space of the coop. Leghorns are light birds they require 3 square feet per bird.

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    The square footage requirements you have are for a very confined containment operation. 3- 4 square feet indoor space is far more acceptable unless you want to risk disease and aggression problems. Any leghorns I have ever had required more because of territory issues.

8 chickens will turn your run area into a dirt pit in about a month or so.

4. johnnyjack

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    i was reading in the storeys guide to raising poutry book it says 1 1/2 - 2 sqft per bird min- lol thats why i asked the pro,s

5. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    johnnyjack, i dont know if my messages are going through or not, but the chicken in my pic is mine. WFBSpanish born i think begining of May.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I would never go with less than 4 sq ft per bird, interior coop floor space, unless I had bantams, and then I'd probably figure on 3 sq ft per bird, just in case they had to be locked inside for a couple of days during bad weather. The 4 sq ft would apply to Leghorns as well. Outside run space is usually figured at about 10 sq ft per bird, but you can get by with less if they are freeranged at times, I think.

Many people get by with less room in the coop, but at times you will want to keep them inside, and there will be fewer problems and better air quality if you go with the recommended footage of 4 sq per bird for standards.

7. jkm

jkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Forest Grove
    I just started this year, two buffs, two barreds, coop is 4x4 , only for night, run is 15x8 .

what I have learned is they must run around the my big yard every other day for a minimun of an hour, preferable 2-3. or they just get cranky! and scream!
    so much for sq feet per bird......

they need some time apart, I have one bird that just likes to be alone, stays 20 -30 feet from the others......

good luck cheers

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  8. johnnyjack

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    so i will be ok with about 5 hens and 1 rooster. mine have full access to the run all the time. wonder why these books ya read say less. my guess would be for production birds?

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You hit the nail on the head. I don't think they dreamed when they wrote those books that we'd keep our chickens like the pets they are. Production birds are crammed into small cages with probably 1-2 sq ft per bird at the most.

10. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    They have gone beyond crammed these days. They now do 4 birds for every 3 sq ft.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by