Squab escaped at 3 -4 weeks

rpape1

Chirping
Aug 25, 2020
Hi there, looking for some urgent advice.

I found a 2 week old wood pigeon on the side of the road about two weeks ago- he was very cold and thin with an empty crop and covered in mites, wandering around.
I picked it up and took it home, treated the bugs and started feeding it a baby pigeon formula, using the bottle technique with a rubber glove. 2 weeks later he's much stronger, larger and has double the feathers, his baby down has left his body everywhere but his head, and he can fly.

I started to wean him on peas, as he was going off the bottle. He took to the peas, but still struggled to eat large quantities, and also found it difficult to eat seeds. (he seemed to be able to eat small stones with no problem, though)

I started to take him outside for 10 minutes per day, and put grains in the grass for him to pick at, and learn about feeding this way. On Monady, however, during one of our feeding sessions, a neighbors cat leapt out of nowhere at him, which startled him and he flew high into a tree.

I called him for hours, but he wouldn't come down. Eventually after much exhaustive efforts to retrieve him, he flew away as it was getting dark and cold, and I didn't see him all night. I live in England, and it's getting very cold and wet on the nights.

Today, it's been raining all day. After searching and calling every hour for him in the garden, I spotted him on the fence during a brief moment of sunshine, when other pigeons began to land in the garden to eat. He looked very wet from the rain. I tried to call him and slowly go over to him, but he didn't respond to my calls and flew off, and I've not seen him since.

My worry is that he can't feed himself, he's hungry, cold and wet or he won't survive another night. He can fly very well and clearly can flee danger, but wasn't too great at feeding himself without assistance, and does not have full feathering under his wings yet (it's about 85% feathered). It's now 8 pm in England and getting dark- we are due for a rain storm over the next 2 days. Even if he miraculously appears back in my garden again, I have no idea how I'd catch him as he's fast, and is no longer keen on being handled and doesn't approach when called.

All help is appreciated- could a pigeon this age survive on it's own, and is there a posibility he'd be able to make it through to next week, when the rain has passed? I noticed that pigeons do not come to the floor during rain or cold.
Many thanks

118196307_1210378759342415_2160957116862656738_n.jpg
118358853_1210378762675748_4972367945080887360_n.jpg
This is the last photograph (Right) I have of him, taken on Saturday.

Hi there, looking for some urgent advice.

I found a 2 week old wood pigeon on the side of the road about two weeks ago- he was very cold and thin with an empty crop and covered in mites, wandering around.
I picked it up and took it home, treated the bugs and started feeding it a baby pigeon formula, using the bottle technique with a rubber glove. 2 weeks later he's much stronger, larger and has double the feathers, his baby down has left his body everywhere but his head, and he can fly.

I started to wean him on peas, as he was going off the bottle. He took to the peas, but still struggled to eat large quantities, and also found it difficult to eat seeds. (he seemed to be able to eat small stones with no problem, though)

I started to take him outside for 10 minutes per day, and put grains in the grass for him to pick at, and learn about feeding this way. On Monady, however, during one of our feeding sessions, a neighbors cat leapt out of nowhere at him, which startled him and he flew high into a tree.

I called him for hours, but he wouldn't come down. Eventually after much exhaustive efforts to retrieve him, he flew away as it was getting dark and cold, and I didn't see him all night. I live in England, and it's getting very cold and wet on the nights.

Today, it's been raining all day. After searching and calling every hour for him in the garden, I spotted him on the fence during a brief moment of sunshine, when other pigeons began to land in the garden to eat. He looked very wet from the rain. I tried to call him and slowly go over to him, but he didn't respond to my calls and flew off, and I've not seen him since.

My worry is that he can't feed himself, he's hungry, cold and wet or he won't survive another night. He can fly very well and clearly can flee danger, but wasn't too great at feeding himself without assistance, and does not have full feathering under his wings yet (it's about 85% feathered). It's now 8 pm in England and getting dark- we are due for a rain storm over the next 2 days. Even if he miraculously appears back in my garden again, I have no idea how I'd catch him as he's fast, and is no longer keen on being handled and doesn't approach when called.

All help is appreciated- could a pigeon this age survive on it's own, and is there a posibility he'd be able to make it through to next week, when the rain has passed? I noticed that pigeons do not come to the floor during rain or cold.
Many thanks

View attachment 2305684View attachment 2305685 This is the last photograph (Right) I have of him, taken on Saturday.
Nice work saving him! I do think there is a chance he can make it on his own now that you have given him a second chance. He might join the wild flock... If he still can't feed himself he will probably come back to you.:)

Thank you. I'm worried sick, so I really hope he returns if he's desperate. I'm praying he can cope on his own, despite being very young. I just needed confirmation he stands a chance. Other pigeons have not appeared to be hostile towards him- they have investigated him in the tree, but not acted otherwise.
Natural for you to worry, :hugs. Like domestic pigeons he has some waterproofing powder on his feathers and I believe he looks feathered enough to handle the cold. He will learn by observation of the wild birds where to find food. You could put some seeds and water out for him in your garden or where you live in case he still needs a little extra help. Or you could try to live trap him if you feel like you have to.
I assume you are not in the USA as I don't think we have wood pigeons here, oh, now I see you said England! :)

Natural for you to worry, :hugs. Like domestic pigeons he has some waterproofing powder on his feathers and I believe he looks feathered enough to handle the cold. He will learn by observation of the wild birds where to find food. You could put some seeds and water out for him in your garden or where you live in case he still needs a little extra help. Or you could try to live trap him if you feel like you have to.
I assume you are not in the USA as I don't think we have wood pigeons here, oh, now I see you said England! :)

Haha yes. I think I've emptied about 2 bags worth of feed onto various dishes and floor areas of my garden, so fingers crossed he finds them.

All help is appreciated- could a pigeon this age survive on it's own,
At that age it has two strikes against it
1) it has not learned to forage on it's own.
2) it has only a basic instinct of predators.

In it's favour
1) It should have a strong homing instinct.
2) It did not fly far.

If it has not returned in 3 days I would expect the worst.

Last edited:
Found another picture taken on Sunday to give an idea of how far along he is:

he did return to the garden briefly, but took off again. He takes off the second he’s approached by anyone and is extremely nervy, so my main concern is him eating.

Attachments

• 779F2DE3-86AE-4F37-B4C0-1303F749ACED.jpeg
    779F2DE3-86AE-4F37-B4C0-1303F749ACED.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 11
  • A595AA2B-8611-43BE-A771-A6BDA82B434B.jpeg
    A595AA2B-8611-43BE-A771-A6BDA82B434B.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 12
Found another picture taken on Sunday to give an idea of how far along he is:

he did return to the garden briefly, but took off again. He takes off the second he’s approached by anyone and is extremely nervy, so my main concern is him eating.
You can be happy he is so wary and alert as those are necessary skills for him to survive. Consider how he has improved so much since you found him weak and unable to fly at the side of the road.

He returned! I managed to lure him back inside and he’s now in his bed again. I’m very relieved. He’s extremely nervy now, and his poo is green. He is also now scared of being put near the window, so I’m keeping him close on me for now. He’s also a lot bigger, and has picked up some new mannerisms. I’ve fed him and I hope he feels better. Thank you for all the help!

Attachments

• 85F6FE62-1CE1-4A19-B728-E2E53D5459AE.jpeg
    85F6FE62-1CE1-4A19-B728-E2E53D5459AE.jpeg
    339.1 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom