Squamous Cell Carcinoma in Cochin

sbzamani

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 22, 2008
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. My favorite pet chicken Sophie has recently been diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma on her left foot. Our avian vet has only offered radiation therapy as an alternative to putting her down. We've meet with the vet who would perform the radiation and the estimate is really outrageous. Does anyone have any other ideas? I've asked the avian vet about amputation, but she says it isn't an option for Sophie since she is such a large/heavy bird. Sophie is 3 years old and was our first chicken ever. It would crush me to have to put her down before her time. I'm willing to spend the money for the treatment, but just want to know if anyone has heard of any other treatments. Thanks.

:| You're kidding, right? No? Just checking....
roll.png

Usually squamous cell is a superficial cancer that is very slow growing. There aren't any really good chemotherapy agents that are highly effective against squamous. However, there are some topical agents that you can put directly on the lesion that may have some effect against it. They aren't terribly expensive. Ask your vet about treating it directly with some topical medications.

My exhusband had one under his eye and they cut it off...never to return...I would do as much research as you can before getting to any radiation therapy....Good luck...and I really feel for you....my chickens are the best $4 I ever spent...and I couldn't come up with a dollar limit to keep them healthy...they are part of the family!

Madena

We did chemo on a dog, so I am going to guess it's not a joke.
wink.png

I have a cochin with a bum limb that gets around fine. Not fast, but he's happy. I would probably demand the cancer be removed or go elsewhere. Is there any reason the foot couldn't be removed and have her use the leg stump to walk on once fully healed? Good luck whatever you do!
smile.png

squamous cell CAN be invasive..and can spread..
it's more serious then Basil cell..

I would consider what the vet says.
you can ask about the topical ointment..it just depends on how deep it is...

First I want to say welcome to the forum, sbzamani.

I am fairly new to chickens as well. How long would Sophie have to take the chemo? Will it make her sick like it usually does humans?
hu.gif

~Rebecca

Back
Top Bottom