Square feet for 4 chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 4theloveofhens, Jun 24, 2010.

1. 4theloveofhens

4theloveofhens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Quick questions, I have 2 red sex links, 1 wyandotte, and 1 bantam cochin. Is a 4x4 foot COOP big enough for them as far as for inside? Their coop will be on stilts so they can go underneath to get more floor room during cruddy weather, but I just want to make sure it's not too big. I'm tight on money and don't want too big of a coop. If it's definitely big enough, maybe I'll just put their nest box (like use cat liter boxes) inside. If it's just enough room, I'll build their nest boxes on the outside like most people do.

Thanks so much!

2. tylermckee

tylermckee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    should be fine, I would just put the nest boxes on the outside. start getting nest boxes, food and water inside and it starts getting even smaller.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I agree...external nest boxes... And there's no such thing as "too big" of a coop. The 4 sq. ft. per chicken is a minimum guideline, not an ideal guideline. Like a family of four can get by in a 1000 sq. ft. home, but would be much more comfortable and happy (and not want to kill one another so often...lol) in a 1600 sq. ft. home... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Quote:I LOVE that! How you explained it. KUDOS! Agreed as well, more is better. My two girls are in a coop JUST the right size, but I know they will be happy to move to their new bigger coop next week. They will be going from 8 square feet to around 15 square feet. My two runs will be connected and the chickens will have a choice of 15 ft coop or 8 ft coop, both will be accessible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by