Square feet per bird inside

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pipdzipdnreadytogo, Aug 3, 2011.

1. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    We're considering building a winter coop (definitely not this year, but maybe next) that would be large enough for our girls to stay inside all winter. All I can find is square footage needed in the coop for birds that have access outside as well. While they will have a small pop door (hopefully) that will allow them to go outside, knowing my girls they simply will not. So I want to do at least what is recommended for birds kept inside the coop at all times. Anyone know how many square feet that is?

(Sorry if this has been asked a million-billion times before. I simply couldn't find the answer I was looking for using the search at the top of the page.)

2. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    Everything I've read says 4 sq ft per bird. Don't want the coop too large as but don't want there not to be enough room for them to move around comfortably either. That 4 sq ft is also no including if you want a nesting area. I know in my coop I have 27 sq ft or so but have to take 4 sq ft away for the nesting area.

3. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Is that all? Ah, thanks! I was worried our 'small winter barn' would end up huge! XD I might be able to convince my parents to add an extra square foot per bird at that... Anyway, that's all I needed. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by