Square feet per chicken in Coop only

You should put your location in your profile it makes a difference in the answer.

My guess is 8 without them fighting all the time if they have plenty of places to go and dodge bullies and interesting things to do. I have 8 that have 136 sq ft of bad weather space but it does not last long here so usually they have a large fenced yard to do chicken stuff in.

JT

Hello, I’m in the process of building a Traditional 12X12 coop with no run.
How many chickens should a be able to raise and how many through the winter?
A dozen should do OK.
Plan for the worst case scenario......like this last winter when my birds were confined to coop for 4-5 days a couple times during the 'polar vortex'.

A dozen should do OK.
Plan for the worst case scenario......like this last winter when my birds were confined to coop for 4-5 days a couple times during the 'polar vortex'.
Hello, Thank you for the reply. 12 square feet per bird ? The plans I found in a old book is 12X22 and says it can hold 200 chickens. I was think 12X12 instead. I google how many chickens in a 12x12 and get so many different answers. I think it’s best to plan for worst case Scenario also. You never know how many days they will be in the coop in the winter

Hello, Thank you for the reply. 12 square feet per bird ? The plans I found in a old book is 12X22 and says it can hold 200 chickens. I was think 12X12 instead. I google how many chickens in a 12x12 and get so many different answers. I think it’s best to plan for worst case Scenario also. You never know how many days they will be in the coop in the winter
I guess it depends on your goals and sensibilities. That many birds in that space(1.32 sqft per bird) is factory farm spacing, most of us here are trying to avoid those types of conditions....so you're not going to find much support here for that.

E7CD6823-E789-4C28-BE4C-58D3A3176D20.jpeg
Does your coop plan include an open area underneath where they can scratch around in the dirt? This would double your available square footage and might be a good thing to consider. Chickens love to dust bath and scratch in the dirt...
Hi, yes the floor is dirt.

Back
Top Bottom