Square foot for a Serama?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    What would be recommended for Square footage for a trio of Serama's Coop size and run size please

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, I've seen on a lot of sites they raise them in cages because they have to be indoors in a lot of areas as they are not cold hardy... or at least I have heard. Who knows. They say a pair or trio does well in a , I think it was, 18" high by 3' long ?' wide cage. A large rabbit cage basically. Not sure about if they're outdoors... I would imagine anything bigger than that would be an upgrade [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Thank you...does anyone else have some Serama's that have some good ideas on how to keep a Trio?

4. LuannKeller

LuannKeller Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Greer, SC USA
    Yes, they will be happy and healthy in a small rabbit cage but like most chickens they love to run around too. I like to keep my trios in a 4x4 chicken tractor, but i do have some in guinea pig cages. If you can let them out for play time they will love it and tame quicker.

5. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    as with all chickens- the bigger the better-when it comes to housing-but you can probably get by with 1 sq ft each IF they get out to play once in a while-

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Thanks for all the info! We have decided on 3 square foot per bird. We will have a trio so that will be 9 sq feet about 3 foot by 3 foot. We are keeping them indoors because we are in WI but we will let them out to forage some in the summer too. Were building a small run to attach to their main coop/run area. We will be able to carry the whole thing outside in the day time and back in when it gets dark. Does this sound humane for a trio of Serama?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by