Square Footage for Bantams

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TK Poultry, Dec 25, 2010.

1. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I'm looking to build hutches for my bantams to live in and I want to keep about 6-7 bantams in there, and thats with a roo. I'm planning on keeping Bantam Orpingtons, Bantam Wyandottes, and of course Bantam Ameraucanas if that is a factor. I will try to scan my plans and upload them for you to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Thanks
    Tyler

2. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Nothing?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Rule of thumb, and it's just a general guide, is 2 sf per bird inside the coop. No idea about the outside, though.

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I believe it is 4 sq ft per bird for standards and 2 sq ft per bird for bantams.

5. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    ok because I'm planning these cool hutches that would be made for the bantams. they're going to be modeled after a rabbit hutch. The box on the back is going to have nests and maybe a roost inside, and possible a light socket.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've read of the 2 sq. ft. minimum for bantams too (for the housing - 5 sq. ft. min. for the run). But remember, minimums are not ideals...more space is ALWAYS better.

7. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Quote:Ok something to remember

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by